Friday, August 12, 2011

Let's Discuss... Watermelons

I'm eating watermelon by the computer as I scan through my Facebook, contemplating on the silly myths created by random people about watermelons. I mean, some of these are ridiculous. Like the ever-famous racist joke about how black people love to eat watermelon, I mean COME ON PEOPLE!!! Do we, as a society, really have nothing better to do with our lives than pick on a poor helpless, nevertheless delicious, fruit. I don't understand why black people have to enjoy it more than any other ethnicity. I'm a little white chick, and I love watermelon. My Puerto Rican friends and my Asian friends all enjoy watermelon.... So why is it that black people are singled out by this joke? If anyone knows the origin of this myth/legend/joke/whateveryouwannacallit, feel free to let me know at kittykat129@verizon.net (apologies about the email address, I made it when I was nine years old, when calling myself a kittycat was a completely innocent notion).

Another silly saying about watermelons is the one saying "Don't eat the black seeds!" Why can't I eat the black seeds? They taste the exact same as the white ones, and they seem just as harmless. I remember watching the Rugrats as a little girl, the episode when Chucky eats a black seed and they all believe that a watermelon is growing inside of his stomach. That episode terrified me for a very, very long time. Whenever my mom picked up watermelons that had the black seeds in it (she normally picked up the seedless ones) I would meticulously pick out every last black seed until I was positive there were no more to be found.

One interesting thing I have recently found out about watermelons is that the smaller, less popular variety of watermelons are, in fact, much sweeter than their larger cousins. I've been told this a couple times before, though I didn't really believe why it would be true. It is, however, very true. You will rarely find a small watermelon to be bitter or bland which are often found to be bad habits of the larger kinds.

Sooo yeah, watermelons are delicious. End of story. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment